In medical terms, it is called adhesive capsulitis, frozen shoulder.
1) A degenerative disease that causes severe pain in the shoulder and restriction of movement in the joint
2) After inflammation of the articular membrane surrounding the joint in the shoulder, the articular membrane becomes fibrous and becomes thicker and harder, resulting in pain, limited exercise
3) In the past, it was called a frozen shoulder because it occurred a lot in the 50s, but now, because of lack of exercise, lifestyle, and posture, young people with frozen shoulders are also increasing, and it is common even in younger ages, nicknamed forty and thirty shoulders.
Symptoms that occur when frozen shoulders appear
- Pain in the shoulder joint and pain during exercise
- The range of motion of the shoulder joint decreases, the pain area of the shoulder joint becomes stiff or numb.
- Sleep disturbance due to severe pain at night
- Initially, it is difficult to turn the shoulder inward / Afterwards, it is difficult to raise the arm forward or turn it outward.
- Washing, washing hair, combing hair, daily activities of putting on and taking off clothes become difficult
Because frozen shoulders cause severe pain, there are many cases of taking painkillers from both sides and then visiting the oriental clinic.
Acupuncture treatment can also help to restore function by reducing pain and increasing the range of motion of the joint.
The thesis introduced below is a thesis published in Taiwan in early 2019. In summary, this is a thesis explaining that electroacupuncture is effective for frozen shoulder disease. Patients who participated in the experiment received electroacupuncture treatment for a total of 18 times, 2 to 3 times a week, and hot pack physical therapy was performed. Pain (VAS) and range of motion (ROM) were evaluated before each treatment.
Research shows that electroacupuncture significantly reduced pain (VAS), and the effect lasted until 6 months later. In addition, both active and passive ranges of motion increased in the ROM evaluation. In particular, the active shoulder flexion exercise showed more improvement in the function of the real electro-acupuncture treatment than the fake electro-acupuncture treatment.
Based on this clinical evidence, our Medwell Clinic is actively implementing electro-acupuncture along with acupuncture treatment. After accurately grasping the patient’s symptoms, we effectively treat the patient’s frozen shoulders with acupuncture, electro-acupuncture, herbal acupuncture, and physical therapy.